Staying one step ahead of osteoporosis
Did you know that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men over 50 will experience a bone fracture caused by osteoporosis?
Our Understanding Osteoporosis guide contains key information on osteoporosis including:
- Who’s at risk
- How you can help prevent it
- Garvan’s research into prevention and treatment strategies
Please enter your details below and we'll call you to arrange sending your free guide.
- 1.2 million Australians currently have osteoporosis
- Only 20% of those that could benefit from treatment receive effective anti-osteoporosis therapy
- Over 50% of people who fracture a bone due to osteoporosis will have another fracture within a year
- Heavy smoking increases your risk of a fragility fracture by 15% – 30%.
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is leading a biomedical revolution that will bring about significantly better treatments – or even cures – for major diseases including cancer, diabetes, immune disorders, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and osteoporosis.